The airline industry is one of the most competitive industries on the planet, so as an airline, you need to be doing all you can to stand out in a heavily saturated world. This will generate more brand awareness, attract new customers, keep existing customers and get brand loyalty. In a post COVID world, we are in a new dawn, and social media marketing is no longer nice but a must for airlines. Let’s explore some of the ways that airlines can turbocharge their social media marketing.
Take your Audience on a Journey with Amazing Content
In the digital age, to connect and attract new customers, your airline should be creating amazing content that adds value and engages your audience. This will leave them coming back for me, and it will turn your customers into ‘raving fans’ who will be loyal to your brand. Amazing content is both a science and an art that not everyone can do. It would be best if you had people creating content that actually understand your brand and understand the intricacies and complexities of the aviation industry inside out. This ensures you get the best and also highly targeted content. So how do you create amazing content then? Here are a few good tips:
- share inspirational stories about your airline – milestones, airline crew; amazing destinations visited, etc
- share relatable stories – people stories, struggles during COVID, etc
- share content about raising awareness for a safer and cleaner environment, staying safe in a COVID world, etc.
- share entertaining pieces about travel and tourism
- Share updates about your latest incentives and promotions for customers
- Share various content – videos, blog posts, social media posts, infographics, slides, etc.
Showcase your Employees
Audiences love to know the people behind your brand. After all, without them, you wouldn’t have a brand. By incorporating your employees in your social media marketing, your airline will feel more human to audiences. All brands need to feel ‘more human’ to their audiences. This is what makes a brand stand out and appear authentic and even caring. There are just so many ways you can showcase your employees through social media posts and even videos on your website. Consider the following:
- showcase work anniversaries of your cabin crew and pilots
- showcase monthly team member awards and promotions
- showcase customer testimonials in the form of videos and posts
- showcase employees by tagging them in your posts
- showcase your CEO and people higher up interacting with employees. Virgin is a master of this, with Richard Branson showing his human side and down-to-earth nature when interacting with employees.
Offer Excellent Customer Service on Your Social Media
You want your airline to be synonymous with excellent customer service. In fact, it’s one of the first things that you want your customers to think of when they think of your airline. Remember, reputation is everything, so all airlines must do what they can to build and maintain an impeccable reputation. A huge part of this comes down to your customer service. In the digital age, we find that more and more airline customers are turning to an airline’s social media to get customer service. So it would be best if you had a social media strategy in place for your airline. A digital marketing team that works just in aviation can help in designing one just for your airline. When it comes to offering excellent customer service on social media, consider the following:
- update customers on cancelled flights
- update customers on any possible disruptions and delays
- update customers on lost luggage
- be prompt in your replies. If, for some reason, you cant be. Offer a good explanation
- always be reassuring to your customers, especially during times of distress
- offer incentives and promotions on your social media
- don’t use bots to respond to messages; instead, have a dedicated social media team or outsource your social media. Remember the human touch
- respond to both negative and positive feedback
- highlight happy customers, which is great for building your brand and building social proof
- present tips for flying, fun facts about destinations, etc
Align yourself with Worthy Causes and Show on Social Media
We see that consumers want to spend money with brands that align themselves with worthy causes worldwide. This could be the environment, health issues, fighting poverty, social inequality, modern slavery, women’s rights, etc. Airlines that align themselves with a cause that they believe in will raise brand awareness and become more caring and less profit-driven. It essentially shows your values in action. Virgin, with its support of NHS Charities during COVID, is a great example of this. So aligning yourself with a worthy cause is one of the best things you can do for your airline. When it comes to your social media marketing, you can showcase this through:
- talking about why you’ve aligned yourself with a particular cause
- encouraging your audiences to believe in the cause
- giving updates and news about what’s happening
- tagging relevant employees that are full participants in the cause
- creating posts and even videos to do with the cause
- having a goal you want to achieve and talking about it – e.g., raising a certain amount of money by a certain date
In conclusion, these are just some ways airlines can use social media marketing to their advantage.
Contact the aviation marketing experts at Off the Ground Marketing to find out more and take your social media marketing to the next level.